As summer vacation beckons, it’s a time for kids to let loose and just play. It’s also a good time to let them read books of their own choosing to foster their interests. In our family, we often plan a visit to a new library when we have a rainy summer day. We read as many books there as we can, then put them away and say goodbye till next time. Having a “new” place to read can help keep the fun in an educational activity, for both little kids and big kids.
Pottery Barn Kids partnered with PBS Kids to promote the Summer Reading Challenge. Read any 8 titles from their recommended list and receive a free book! PB Kids stores also have weekly story times where kids can help reach their goal. The challenge runs through July 17th.
Creating a summer reading nook is another way to encourage reading during the quiet times of the day. On a recent visit to Pottery Barn Kids, they shared their ideas for a successful reading nook.
There are also some fun book plate DIY projects to make with the kids for their favorite books. I tried making a couple at the Pottery Barn Kids store and will do it again with my kids. The downloadable templates for the project is found on the Building Blocks blog, a fun collection of ideas from Pottery Barn Kids.
Here is the list of books included in the challenge:
· Bear Snores On by Karma Wilson and Jane Chapman
· Big Brothers Don’t Take Naps by Louise Borden
· Corduroy by Don Freeman
· Curious Baby Counting by H.A. Rey
· Good Night, Good Night Construction Site by Sherri Duskey Rinker and Tom Lichtenheld
· Grammy Lamby and the Secret Handshake by Kate Klise and M. Sarah Klise
· Heads by Matthew Van Fleet
· How Do Dinosaurs Count to Ten? By Mark Teague
· How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? by Jane Yolen and Mark Teague
· Ladybug Girl by David Samon and Jacky Davis
· Llama Llama and the Bully Goat by Anna Dewdney
· Madeline and the Old House in Paris by John Bemelmans Marciano
· Nelly Gnu and Daddy Too by Anna Dewdney
· Olivia by Ian Falconer
· Paddington Bear by Michael Bond and R.W. Alley
· Pete the Cat I Love My White Shoes by James Dean and Eric Litwin
· Sniff by Matthew Van Fleet
· Tallulah’s Toe Shoes by Marilyn Singer and Alexandra Boiger
· The Day the Crayons Quit by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers
· What Sisters Do Best/What Brothers Do Best by Laura Numeroff and Lynn Munsinger
Ready to create a new summer reading nook for your kids? To kick things off, Pottery Barn Kids is offering a $25 gift card to one lucky winner. Please leave a comment below naming your favorite childhood book. Contest is open until Saturday June 7th. Winner will be notified via email.
Spring into Summer!
Join my community and get a free 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan. These are some of my favorite recipes when friends ask about how to eat better.
Your digestive health is the starting line for your total wellness. Use this 3 day guide to jump into clean eating and give your body a break. Your digestion will get the chance to work at an optimal level giving you more energy, better sleep, and even clearer skin.
- 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan
- Shopping List
- Recipes for 3 meals a day, PLUS snacks!
Join in today. Welcome!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.