If you have lots of plum tomatoes in your garden, or can find some well priced ones at your market, here’s an easy sauce recipe with tons of flavor. We have made it three times as our plum tomatoes ripened and it’s fairly quick. It tasted a little sweet our pizza and pasta dishes, even though there is no added sugar. Next year we are going to add in another plum tomato plant as they are so easy to process and the kids can easily help harvest them.
Sauce recipes that call for taking the skins off tomatoes before cooking always became such a hassle. In this recipe, the tomatoes are roasted slowly so the skins are much easier to peel off before processing. It’s not a lot of hands on time, you just need to give yourself about an hour and a half for cooking and prepping.
- Ripe plum tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Garlic cloves
- Kosher salt
- Cracked pepper
- Olive oil or grapeseed oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut plum tomatoes in half. Place tomatoes cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Add 1/4 cup chopped basil, 2-3 garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper to each tray. (Adjust to the number of trays you can make with your tomatoes.)
- Drizzle olive oil or grapeseed oil over tomatoes.
- Roast in oven for 30 minutes, then rotate if more than one tray is in the oven. Return to oven and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then using tongs, peel off the skins.
- Add tomatoes and herbs to a food processor and pulse a few times to desired consistency.
- Label and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days, freeze, or can by cooking in a water bath for 40 minutes.
Do you have a favorite sauce recipe?
50 Snacks for Energy
Snacks for the whole family are important and deserve some planning. Moms need snacks too! Get my list of 50 healthy ideas to stock in your kitchen and plan them for yourself, and the lunch boxes this week. Skip the processed stuff and give yourself better quality food. Get ready for more energy, better sleep and a happier tummy.
About Emily Roach
Live your healthiest life, even when life gets busy. Discover how food can make you feel awesome. Boston ex-Pat in Toronto. Find free meal plan here every week.