If you have lots of plum tomatoes in your garden, or can find some well priced ones at your market, here’s an easy sauce recipe with tons of flavor. We have made it three times as our plum tomatoes ripened and it’s fairly quick. It tasted a little sweet our pizza and pasta dishes, even though there is no added sugar. Next year we are going to add in another plum tomato plant as they are so easy to process and the kids can easily help harvest them.
Sauce recipes that call for taking the skins off tomatoes before cooking always became such a hassle. In this recipe, the tomatoes are roasted slowly so the skins are much easier to peel off before processing. It’s not a lot of hands on time, you just need to give yourself about an hour and a half for cooking and prepping.
- Ripe plum tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Garlic cloves
- Kosher salt
- Cracked pepper
- Olive oil or grapeseed oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut plum tomatoes in half. Place tomatoes cut side down on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Add 1/4 cup chopped basil, 2-3 garlic cloves, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon cracked pepper to each tray. (Adjust to the number of trays you can make with your tomatoes.)
- Drizzle olive oil or grapeseed oil over tomatoes.
- Roast in oven for 30 minutes, then rotate if more than one tray is in the oven. Return to oven and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly, then using tongs, peel off the skins.
- Add tomatoes and herbs to a food processor and pulse a few times to desired consistency.
- Label and store in refrigerator for up to 5 days, freeze, or can by cooking in a water bath for 40 minutes.
Do you have a favorite sauce recipe?
Spring into Summer!
Join my community and get a free 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan. These are some of my favorite recipes when friends ask about how to eat better.
Your digestive health is the starting line for your total wellness. Use this 3 day guide to jump into clean eating and give your body a break. Your digestion will get the chance to work at an optimal level giving you more energy, better sleep, and even clearer skin.
- 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan
- Shopping List
- Recipes for 3 meals a day, PLUS snacks!
Join in today. Welcome!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.