Next to apples, pumpkins are my second favorite fall flavor. Pumpkin muffins, pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks and pumpkin candy corn are some of my seasonal must-haves. This year I loved seeing all the many pumpkin spiced desserts around the web. I decided to test out a Pumpkin Gingersnap Cookie recipe and give it a healthier twist.
- ¼ cup butter softened
- ¼ cup applesauce (my substitution for the second stick of butter)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (white) plus another ¼ cup for rolling the cookies
- ½ cup pure pumpkin puree (not tge pie mix, but canned is fine)
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour (my 2nd substitution for the other cup of white flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a stand mixer, beat butter, applesauce and sugar together until creamy. Add pumpkin, molasses, egg and vanilla. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Refrigerate dough for at least 2 hours, otherwise it’s very difficult to roll the cookies into balls.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place sugar in a small bowl. Roll tablespoon sized balls of dough in sugar and then place on baking sheets. I fit about 15 per tray.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until edges are set and cookies look cracked. Let cookies sit for 2-3 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
|Delicious pumpkin gingersnap cookies made the house smell amazing!|
Yield: 3 dozen cookies.
Ready to Rock the Holidays?
Want to feel awesome heading into 2018? There are things you can do now to stay healthy during the holiday season. Avoid gaining weight, indulge with the right mindset, and keep your immunity up.
Grab my free cheat sheet with quick tips, favorite products, and advice. Get ready to rock the New Year as your best self yet!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.