Need a new recipe for a New Year’s Brunch? Or maybe a cozy breakfast-for-dinner idea on New Year’s Eve? I highly suggest the Baked Pumpkin French Toast I found over at Simple Bites. We made it for Christmas morning brunch and it came out AWESOME!
I set it up the night before so everything soaks into the bread. In the morning, just pop it into the oven for about 40 minutes and you are ready for a new favorite breakfast treat.
- 1 loaf hearty whole wheat bread, sliced (no floppy bread or it will come out too mushy)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree ( I used canned)
- 1/4 cup salted butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice blend
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, pumpkin puree, 2 Tablespoons melted butter, molasses and 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice blend.
- Dip each slice of bread into the mixture to coat well, then place, one layer thick, on a 13×17 baking sheet. Drizzle any remaining pumpkin mixture on top of the bread.
- Place plastic wrap over the soaking bread slices and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously butter an 8 x 11 baking dish. (I use coconut oil to “butter” my pans, and I used a smaller circle casserole dish instead to better fit the bread)
- Mix together brown sugar with remaining teaspoon of spice blend.
- Remove plastic wrap from the soaked bread and brush tops lightly with remaining 2 Tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle French toast tops all over with cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Starting with the smaller pieces, arrange the slices of bread in the buttered baking dish, propping them up on top of each other until the pan is full. Place on the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until the tops are crispy.
- Serve at once with Molasses-Cinnamon Syrup or pure maple syrup, and whipped cream.
Both kids ate the french toast for breakfast so that always makes the recipe a keeper in my book.
If you haven’t checked out Simple Bites yet, head on over as there are so many other delicious recipes waiting for you!
Jumpstart your Energy!
Join my community and get a free 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan. These are some of my favorite recipes when friends ask about how to eat better.
Your digestive health is the starting line for your total wellness. Use this 3 day guide to jump into clean eating and give your body a break. Your digestion will get the chance to work at an optimal level giving you more energy, better sleep, and even clearer skin.
- 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan
- Shopping List
- Recipes for 3 meals a day, PLUS snacks!
Join in today. Welcome!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.