I started making homemade granola bars about a year ago and have been tweaking the original recipe ever since. It’s finally ready to share with all of you. Our whole family enjoys them and it’s a healthy, hearty snack for mid-afternoon to hold us over till dinner. I usually make the granola bars while I’m making my weekly batch of granola. The ingredients are already out so I just need a second large bowl and a couple additional items.
The best part of making granola bars in your own kitchen is you know exactly what inside each one. No scary ingredients you can’t pronounce. No strange preservatives and no high fructose corn syrup. This recipe uses only natural ingredients and you can doctor it up with your favorite add-ins like cranberries (our favorite), nuts, chocolate chips and other dried fruits. We also make them nut free sometimes so I can pack them in school lunches. I’ll add in pepitas instead of nuts to keep it protein heavy.
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4½ cups oats
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup cranberries (or other add ins)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a 13 x 9 pan with parchment paper, or grease well.
- Melt first four ingredients in a medium saucepan.
- Mix balance of ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add melted butter mixture to the oatmeal mixture. Stir until well mixed.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan. Press down on the mixture to ensure bars stick together.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Let cool completely before cutting. Store in an airtight container.
Ready to Rock the Holidays?
Want to feel awesome heading into 2018? There are things you can do now to stay healthy during the holiday season. Avoid gaining weight, indulge with the right mindset, and keep your immunity up.
Grab my free cheat sheet with quick tips, favorite products, and advice. Get ready to rock the New Year as your best self yet!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.