Memories of St. Patrick’s Day as a child always included a dinner at my Nana’s house. It was the traditional corned beef dinner with boiled potatoes, onions and cabbage. I loved it then and still do now. But my favorite part of the holiday feast is the Irish Soda Bread. I still remember the first time I made this recipe for a family party, forgot to pack it, and then enjoyed it with our own family and noticed how much the kids like it too.
- 3-1/4 cups flour
- ⅓ cup, plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold butter
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup raisins, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk flour, ⅓ cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and raising; mix just until moistened.
- Place dough on floured surface; knead until fully combined.
- Shape into a loaf in an oval shape.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cut deep ½-inch "X" in top of dough.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. sugar.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
Have a happy Saint Patrick’s Day! If you are looking for some recipes or craft ideas to celebrate the day, head over to my Pinterest page for more ideas.
Spring into Summer!
Join my community and get a free 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan. These are some of my favorite recipes when friends ask about how to eat better.
Your digestive health is the starting line for your total wellness. Use this 3 day guide to jump into clean eating and give your body a break. Your digestion will get the chance to work at an optimal level giving you more energy, better sleep, and even clearer skin.
- 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan
- Shopping List
- Recipes for 3 meals a day, PLUS snacks!
Join in today. Welcome!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.