Skip the drive thru and the frozen food aisle. Here is an easy chicken nugget recipe that is both kid, and husband, friendly. I grew up eating these and I have hardly tweaked the original recipe from the Eater’s Choice cookbook. Now I make sure to cook enough so there is leftovers for the kids lunches.
A note about breadcrumbs. I use the heels of my bread and pulse them in the food processor. I have also used panko breadcrumbs as well and they come out just as crunchy.
- 3-4 Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tbl Olive Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Cup Breadcrumbs (2-3 pieces of bread)
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- Dipping Sauce~ 2½ Tsp Honey and 2 Tbl Dijon Mustard
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces, about 8 pieces per breast.
- Mix oil, garlic, pepper and chicken in a zip top bag and marinate about 30 minutes. (You can do it in the morning and let it sit till evening, or just marinate for a few minutes, it doesn't make a huge difference in taste.)
- Mix breadcrumbs with cayenne pepper. Roll chicken pieces in bread crumbs and place on a large cookie sheet. I line my cookie sheet with parchment paper to make clean up easy.
- Bake 15-17 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through.
- Use honey mustard sauce or ketchup for dipping.
Enjoy this healthy homemade chicken nugget recipe. I’ve been eating this version since I was a kid!
50 Snacks for Energy
Snacks for the whole family are important and deserve some planning. Moms need snacks too! Get my list of 50 healthy ideas to stock in your kitchen and plan them for yourself, and the lunch boxes this week. Skip the processed stuff and give yourself better quality food. Get ready for more energy, better sleep and a happier tummy.
About Emily Roach
Live your healthiest life, even when life gets busy. Discover how food can make you feel awesome. Boston ex-Pat in Toronto. Find free meal plan here every week.