Snacks are a big deal in our house. After a year of making them, these Lemon Cashew Coconut energy balls are definitely at the top of the list. They a full of real food ingredients, easy to customize, and quick to make. Both the kids and the adults love these as a quick trick, and they even fulfill those sweet craving we all struggle with.
I’ve seen energy balls sold at the stores lately for $5/bag that may include just a couple balls. What? I’m telling you, it’s so easy to make these yourself if you have a food processor. Gather your ingredients together, pit and soak your dates, and get ready to blend away. I’ll make these in the afternoon before the kids come home from school and they love them. These are not nut-free so this is always an at home snack for the kids.
These lemon cashew coconut energy balls are also a great replacement for the energy bars at the store. So many of them market themselves as healthy, but take the time to read the label. If it starts with “brown rice syrup” or “agave” then you are giving yourself a sugar shock. Yes, these dates are super sweet in the recipe below. However, they offer some nutritional benefits whereas those other “sugars” do not. Don’t make the mistake of being fooled into buying adult candy bars in the health food energy bar aisle.
Lemon Cashew Coconut Energy Balls
Here’s a few things why I love this recipe.
- Cashews are a great protein and fat source that helps keep your blood sugar stable. Plus they even act as an antidepressant!.
- Dates are a natural sweetener and offer you a dose of magnesium, vitamin B-6, calcium, and potassium. (Great post workout.)
- Lemons offer a dose of vitamin C and it’s antiviral, antibacterial properties.
- Coconut contains a healthy fat needed for brain health.
I make this with either lemon zest, or a couple drops of lemon essential oil. Use whichever you have on hand, or whichever you have time for!Don't make the mistake of being fooled into buying adult candy bars in the health food energy bar aisle. Click To Tweet
If you want your lemon cashew coconut energy balls to really stand out in the mix, you can add the dough to a large bowl and then stir in the coconut flakes. However, in the interest of time, and clean up, I’ve thrown it all into the food processor in stages and it comes out delicious.
- 1 cup cashews
- 10 pitted medjool dates
- 2 heaping tablespoons almond butter
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, or 3 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- Place the pitted dates in a small bowl with hot water. Let soak for 5 minutes while you gather ingredients.
- In a food processor, grind the cashews first until you have small bites. Stop before you create cashew butter!
- Add the balance of ingredients, except for the shredded coconut. Blend well.
- Add the coconut and pulse a few time until well combined.
- Make golf ball size balls and place on a plate. Transfer plate to the refrigerator to chill for 20 minutes before serving.
- Store in an airtight container.
Let me know how you enjoy these Lemon Cashew Coconut Energy Balls! Enjoy.
Have a healthy Holiday!
Want to feel awesome heading into 2018? There are things you can do now to stay healthy during the holiday season.
Grab my free download with quick tips and advice. Get ready to rock the New Year!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.