We have been making this nutty granola recipe every week for well over a year now. The kids love making it with me and it’s fun to tweak it with different dried fruits and nuts throughout the year. Below is our standard recipe but feel feel to just add in the nuts and dried fruits you have on hand. The honey is the key ingredient as it helps the granola maintain it’s crunchiness.
|Photo by Tara Bellucci|
Enjoy a little sweet granola with homemade yogurt and you will start the day off on a happy foot. Once you get the basics down, you can tweak it a bit to your taste. A little less sweet or a little more nutty, you can alter the recipe to make it your own. I tend to use a mix of sweeteners depending on how much I have of each in the house.
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup raw pepitas
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cranberries
- Set oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix everything except cranberries together in a large bowl. Spread on a baking sheet. ( I line mine with a silpat to make clean up easier).
- Cook in oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 13 minutes.
- Mix in cranberries after granola comes out of the oven. Let cool completely before serving or storing.
- Stir granola occasionally as it cools so it doesn't get too sticky.
- This makes 5 pint size jars for gifts, or 13 cups.
I love this recipe and serve it with fresh fruit and yogurt. If you want it less clumpy/sticky, you can swap out the honey for maple syrup. I also buy a lot of ingredients in bulk to keep the cost low. The pecans are pricy, but add a lot of flavor.
Free Meal Plan Tracker
Join the wellness community and access the Library of free printable meal plans, shopping lists, fitness trackers and more. Save yourself time in the kitchen with these free tools.
About Emily Roach
Live your healthiest life, even when life gets busy. Discover how food can make you feel awesome. Boston ex-Pat in Toronto. Find free meal plan here every week.