We have been making this nutty granola recipe every week for well over a year now. The kids love making it with me and it’s fun to tweak it with different dried fruits and nuts throughout the year. Below is our standard recipe but feel feel to just add in the nuts and dried fruits you have on hand. The honey is the key ingredient as it helps the granola maintain it’s crunchiness.
|Photo by Tara Bellucci|
Enjoy a little sweet granola with homemade yogurt and you will start the day off on a happy foot. Once you get the basics down, you can tweak it a bit to your taste. A little less sweet or a little more nutty, you can alter the recipe to make it your own. I tend to use a mix of sweeteners depending on how much I have of each in the house.
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 cup raw pepitas
- 1 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1/2 cup coconut or olive oil
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cranberries
- Set oven to 300 degrees.
- Mix everything except cranberries together in a large bowl. Spread on a baking sheet. ( I line mine with a silpat to make clean up easier).
- Cook in oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 13 minutes.
- Mix in cranberries after granola comes out of the oven. Let cool completely before serving or storing.
- Stir granola occasionally as it cools so it doesn't get too sticky.
- This makes 5 pint size jars for gifts, or 13 cups.
I love this recipe and serve it with fresh fruit and yogurt. If you want it less clumpy/sticky, you can swap out the honey for maple syrup. I also buy a lot of ingredients in bulk to keep the cost low. The pecans are pricy, but add a lot of flavor.
Ready to Rock the Holidays?
Want to feel awesome heading into 2018? There are things you can do now to stay healthy during the holiday season. Avoid gaining weight, indulge with the right mindset, and keep your immunity up.
Grab my free cheat sheet with quick tips, favorite products, and advice. Get ready to rock the New Year as your best self yet!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.