Irish Soda Bread for St. Patrick's Day
- 3-1/4 cups flour
- ⅓ cup, plus 1 Tbsp. sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold butter
- 1-1/3 cups buttermilk
- ½ cup raisins, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk flour, ⅓ cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk and raising; mix just until moistened.
- Place dough on floured surface; knead until fully combined.
- Shape into a loaf in an oval shape.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet.
- Cut deep ½-inch "X" in top of dough.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp. sugar.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
Recipe by Emily Roach Wellness and Nutrition at http://emilyaroach.com/irish-soda-bread-for-st-patricks-day/