Sometimes you get really lucky with a new recipe. The one when every child enjoys it and asks for more until you realize you have run out. Steak quesadillas may not be gourmet, but they keep everyone very happy at our dinner table. I just had to share it with you.
You can mix up the recipe by trying different cheese varieties in the quesadillas. We tried both cheddar and mozzarella and they were both kid-approved. Quesadillas also lend themselves to adding in healthy extras like avocado slices or baby spinach to up the nutrition factor.
Not only do the mushrooms in the recipe give it a more meaty flavor overall, but they also offer a bunch of vitamins and minerals. Mushrooms contain Vitamin D, riboflavin, biotin, niacin, and and pantothenic acid. I love adding them to meals this way to get the benefits as they are usually picked over in a green salad. Pin this post to your dinner board for those nights when you need something quick!
- 1 lb. top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- ⅛ + ¼ teaspoon salt divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) container cremini mushrooms (presliced saves time!)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8" size)
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Add steak to pan and sprinkle with ⅛ teaspoon of salt. Cook 3-4 minutes or until browned, then transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add butter to pan. Once melted, add remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, minced garlic, and mushrooms. Cook 5-6 minutes until mushrooms begin to reduce (get smaller.) Add mushroom mix to steak.
- Wipe the pan clean. Toast tortillas on one side, then flip and fill with steak mixture and a scattering of cheese. (1/3 cup) Cover with another tortilla. Let cheese melt enough to allow you to flip the tortilla in the pan without losing all the goodness inside.
- Repeat with remaining two tortillas.
Have a healthy Holiday!
Want to feel awesome heading into 2018? There are things you can do now to stay healthy during the holiday season.
Grab my free download with quick tips and advice. Get ready to rock the New Year!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.