Sometimes you get really lucky with a new recipe. The one when every child enjoys it and asks for more until you realize you have run out. Steak quesadillas may not be gourmet, but they keep everyone very happy at our dinner table. I just had to share it with you.
You can mix up the recipe by trying different cheese varieties in the quesadillas. We tried both cheddar and mozzarella and they were both kid-approved. Quesadillas also lend themselves to adding in healthy extras like avocado slices or baby spinach to up the nutrition factor.
Not only do the mushrooms in the recipe give it a more meaty flavor overall, but they also offer a bunch of vitamins and minerals. Mushrooms contain Vitamin D, riboflavin, biotin, niacin, and and pantothenic acid. I love adding them to meals this way to get the benefits as they are usually picked over in a green salad. Pin this post to your dinner board for those nights when you need something quick!
- 1 lb. top sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- ⅛ + ¼ teaspoon salt divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) container cremini mushrooms (presliced saves time!)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (mozzarella or cheddar)
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (8" size)
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Spray with cooking spray.
- Add steak to pan and sprinkle with ⅛ teaspoon of salt. Cook 3-4 minutes or until browned, then transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add butter to pan. Once melted, add remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, minced garlic, and mushrooms. Cook 5-6 minutes until mushrooms begin to reduce (get smaller.) Add mushroom mix to steak.
- Wipe the pan clean. Toast tortillas on one side, then flip and fill with steak mixture and a scattering of cheese. (1/3 cup) Cover with another tortilla. Let cheese melt enough to allow you to flip the tortilla in the pan without losing all the goodness inside.
- Repeat with remaining two tortillas.
Jumpstart your Energy!
Join my community and get a free 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan. These are some of my favorite recipes when friends ask about how to eat better.
Your digestive health is the starting line for your total wellness. Use this 3 day guide to jump into clean eating and give your body a break. Your digestion will get the chance to work at an optimal level giving you more energy, better sleep, and even clearer skin.
- 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan
- Shopping List
- Recipes for 3 meals a day, PLUS snacks!
Join in today. Welcome!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.