On a cold snowy day, this banana nut bread recipe made the house smell delicious. It’s an easy recipe for a quick bread in the bread machine. I love being able to dump all the ingredients into the bread maker because it means less dishes for me to clean! Next time you have some overripe bananas that need to be used up, break out the bread maker and enjoy.
We use the Breville Bread Maker and have been very happy with it. (It’s currently 30% off on Amazon…in case you are in the market for one.) The shape of the bread always comes out great and there are no clumps of flour, even if I don’t scrape down the sides.
One tip I got from my mother-in-law was to take the overripe bananas, peel them, then freeze in batches of three. That will generally give you the 1 1/2 cups of mashed bananas you need for most recipes.
- 1/4 cup of yogurt
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup room temperature butter, cut into 1/2'' pieces
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas. (typically 3 bananas)
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Add ingredients to the bread machine in the order listed. Add walnuts to fruit/nut dispenser (on Breville model, or add to bread pan directly.)
- Place pan in bread machine and set to Quick loaf, or appropriate setting for non-yeast bread.
- Press start. Scrape sides (if you remember, otherwise don't worry) after first few minutes of the mixing cycle.
- Remove bread pan when timer finishes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove bread carefully and let cool for another 15 minutes. This cuts down on the crumble factor, but it will be really hard to wait!
Note~ you could also replace the yogurt and milk with 1/4 cup of buttermilk. I generally don’t buy buttermilk but always have my homemade yogurt on hand to use in recipes. We also use our homemade applesauce in this recipe. I replaced some of the butter called for in the original recipe with the applesauce to make it healthier.
Do you use a bread maker? What is your favorite recipe to make in it?
Disclosure~ the Breville Amazon link is an affiliate link. If you end up buying it (and loving it), a small percentage of your sale comes back to help support this site. Thanks and enjoy the banana walnut bread recipe! Sharing this recipe with Make Ahead Meals Melt in Your Mouth round-up.
3-day Reset Meal Plan
Subscribe to my newsletter and get a free 3 Day Reset Meal Plan.
Your digestive health is the starting line for your total wellness.
- 3 Day Meal Plan
- Shopping List
- Recipes for 3 meals a day, PLUS snacks!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.