On a cold snowy day, this easy banana bread recipe for the bread maker will make your house smell delicious. I love being able to dump all the ingredients into the bread maker because it means less dishes for me to clean! Next time you have some overripe bananas that need to be used up, break out the bread maker and enjoy.
Why do those bananas turn brown so fast sometimes? One reason is you may be storing them too close to your apples. Apples “off-gas” and it can spoil other fruits and vegetables. I suggest keeping apples in a separate spot, or transfer them to the fridge and keep in a container with some paper towels to absorb any moisture.
You can play around with this easy banana bread recipe in your bread maker. Add nuts, or keep it nut free and safe for school lunches. Try a gluten-free flour mix, like the one from Bob’s Red Mill’s, and see what you think.
We use the Breville Bread Maker and have been very happy with it. The shape of the bread always comes out great and there are no clumps of flour, even if I don’t scrape down the sides. Making your own banana bread in the bread maker is quick and a healthier alternative to packaged banana breads that are full of questionable preservatives.
One tip I got from my mother-in-law was to take the overripe bananas, peel them, then freeze in batches of three. That will generally give you the 1 1/2 cups of mashed bananas you need for most recipes. I keep loads of bananas peeled and ready to go for our green smoothies kids will love.
Banana bread recipe in the Bread maker
- 1/4 cup of yogurt
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1/3 cup room temperature butter, cut into 1/2'' pieces
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed bananas. (typically 3 bananas)
- 2 2/3 cups all purpose or white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Add ingredients to the bread machine in the order listed. Add walnuts to fruit/nut dispenser (on Breville model, or add to bread pan directly.)
- Place pan in bread machine and set to Quick loaf, or appropriate setting for non-yeast bread.
- Press start. Scrape sides (if you remember, otherwise don't worry) after first few minutes of the mixing cycle.
- Remove bread pan when timer finishes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove bread carefully and let cool for another 15 minutes. This cuts down on the crumble factor, but it will be really hard to wait!
Note~ you could also replace the yogurt and milk with 1/4 cup of buttermilk. I generally don’t buy buttermilk but always have my homemade yogurt on hand to use in recipes. We also use our homemade applesauce in this recipe. I replaced some of the butter called for in the original recipe with the applesauce to make it healthier.
Ready to go make an easy banana bread in your bread maker? Enjoy!
Jumpstart your Energy!
Join my community and get a free 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan. These are some of my favorite recipes when friends ask about how to eat better.
Your digestive health is the starting line for your total wellness. Use this 3 day guide to jump into clean eating and give your body a break. Your digestion will get the chance to work at an optimal level giving you more energy, better sleep, and even clearer skin.
- 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan
- Shopping List
- Recipes for 3 meals a day, PLUS snacks!
Join in today. Welcome!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.