I did a large amount of holiday shopping this year online. It’s an easy way to get great prices, but also order from some unique shops on Etsy. As we sort through all the lovely gifts we received, we have a couple that need to be returned or exchanged. January 3rd is National Returns Day. It’s kind of like a back-to-reality moment when you want to clean up your house and check those returns off your to-do list. On January 3rd, UPS will ship more than 520,000 from consumers back to retailers. As companies like Amazon report their biggest year yet, many people will line up to do their returns in the easiest way possible.
Here are a couple ways to ship your packages in an eco-friendly way:
- Skip the overnight shipping option. It increases the carbon footprint of that package’s return trip.
- Repack in a used box. I save a few during the month in case I have any returns I need to do.
- Use grocery paper shopping bags to wrap a return. The paper is strong and free!
- Pack breakables in newspaper instead of bubble wrap or packaging peanuts. If you have a shredder, you can use the shredded paper.
- UPS offers carbon offset options
- Skip the drive to the store and have your local UPS driver pick up your returns.
While you are at UPS, see if your location will accept any packaging peanuts you received. Select locations will recycle them.
On January 3rd, I’ll be at our local Needham UPS location at 946 Great Plain Ave spreading the word about UPS’s Hassle Free Return options. They make it easy. I’ll be bringing my box to return to Amazon so I’ll give it a test run. You can follow me on Twitter @RandomRecycling and the #HassleFreeReturns. Our local sponsor is Wayfair, rsvp for the twitter party below to win a gift card for some personal shopping on their site.
There are also other events happening in Atlanta and Denver.
- The UPS Store, 10800 Alpharetta Highway, Suite 208, Roswell, GA 30076 with Megan Cooper, @jamonkey
- The UPS Store, 8200 S Quebec St Ste A3, Centennial, CO 80112 with Jen Goode, @jgoode
JOIN THE PARTY FROM YOUR HOUSE!
DATE: Thursday, January 3rd
TIME: 3:00PM – 4:00PM EST
PRIZES: (4) Giveaways throughout the hour!!
– $25 The UPS Store gift card
– (2) 1 $50 gift card from Sierra Trading Post
– $100 gift card from Wayfair
RSVP required to win, enter HERE.
RULES: You must be a US resident 18 and older to be eligible to win. Please see attached document for official rules.
The UPS National Returns Day public relations team partnered with bloggers such as myself to help educate consumers about UPS National Returns Day. As part of this program, I received compensation for my time. They did not tell me what to say or influence opinions in my blog posts. UPS believes that consumers and bloggers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. UPS’s policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, FTC guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.
Spring into Summer!
Join my community and get a free 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan. These are some of my favorite recipes when friends ask about how to eat better.
Your digestive health is the starting line for your total wellness. Use this 3 day guide to jump into clean eating and give your body a break. Your digestion will get the chance to work at an optimal level giving you more energy, better sleep, and even clearer skin.
- 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan
- Shopping List
- Recipes for 3 meals a day, PLUS snacks!
Join in today. Welcome!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.