Holiday baking season is in full swing! Cookies, bars, candies and more are hopefully filling your kitchen, and your bellies. I’m off to a Cookie Swap tonight and I’m excited to share the recipe for Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies today. This recipe has been in my holiday rotation for a few years now and the smell of the dough is amazing. It doesn’t require a lot of ingredients and is fairly quick to pull together.
I ran out of ground nutmeg and had some real nutmegs to use. Using freshly ground spices is a sure fire way to create some delicious cookies! You can get whole nutmegs in the Whole Foods bulk section if you want to try just a couple. Use a microplaner to grate the nut.
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cups unsalted butter softened (1½ sticks)
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 cup of sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg one at a time and then molasses until combined. Reduce speed to stir/low and slowly mix in the dry ingredients until a dough forms.
- Create balls with the dough, about one tablespoon each. (slightly smaller than a ping pong ball)
- Roll ball in a small bowl of the reserved ¼ cup of sugar.
- Arrange the balls on baking sheets, 12 per sheet.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for one minute before transferring to racks to cool. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Now it’s your turn! What is your favorite holiday cookie recipe? Leave a note in the comments.
Spring into Summer!
Join my community and get a free 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan. These are some of my favorite recipes when friends ask about how to eat better.
Your digestive health is the starting line for your total wellness. Use this 3 day guide to jump into clean eating and give your body a break. Your digestion will get the chance to work at an optimal level giving you more energy, better sleep, and even clearer skin.
- 3 Day Clean Eating Meal Plan
- Shopping List
- Recipes for 3 meals a day, PLUS snacks!
Join in today. Welcome!
About Emily Roach
Emily Roach is a culinary nutrition expert and works with clients to create a healthy lifestyle design. She loves teaching her kids how to cook, playing tennis and inspiring women to take control of their health. Emily does one-on-one consulting, cooking workshops and speaking engagements.